Saturday, July 30, 2016

Bad news for Rory McIlroy as Zika virus reaches homestead Florida


Zika Virus: What We Know (And What We Don"t)

US officials announced that four cases of the virus has been contracted via mosquito bites in the state, where McIlroy resides with his fiance Erica Stoll in the coastal town of Jupiter, in a plush mansion he purchased in 2012.

When deciding against representing Ireland in golfs first appearance at the games in 104 years, McIlroy claimed that it was his desire to start a family with Stoll that precluded him from taking part.

He said: "After speaking with those closest to me, Ive come to realise that my health and my familys health comes before anything else. Even though the risk of infection from the Zika virus is considered low, it is a risk nonetheless and a risk I am unwilling to take.

"I will continue to endeavour to make my fans and fans of golf proud with my play on the course and my actions off it."

For Graeme McDowell the development will be far more jarring as his Floridian wife Kristian is expecting their child very soon.

McDowell followed McIlroys lead in forgoing the Olympics, stating that he was unwilling to travel beyond the America in the immediate build up to his childs birth for fear of contracting the virus.

I made my decision many months ago before I made the team, that I would not play or travel outside the US, where I and my family live, in the weeks running up to the birth.

Both McIlroy and McDowell, along with Shane Lowry and Darren Clarke, yesterday failed to make the cut at the US PGA Championship. Padraig Harrington will be Irelands sole representative in New Jersey over the weekend.

Source: http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/bad-news-for-rory-mcilroy-as-zika-virus-reaches-homestead-florida-34924874.html

No comments:

Post a Comment