Tuesday, May 31, 2016

John Eggers: What is Memorial Day?


Memorial Day NBA Vault: 1999 Spurs vs Trail Blazers- Sean Elliott"s "Memorial Day Miracle"

Memorial Day is the flag.

We wait until Memorial Day to put up our two flags. Kathy watches me while I raise them. I give each a salute, and we sing "My Country Tis of Thee." If our kids are around, they join us. In 60 more years, the U.S. flag will be 300 years old. I won"t be around, but most young people will. I hope our flag will stand for the same thing then as it does todaypeace, honor, respect, duty, safety, but mostly peace.

Memorial Day is the movie "Music Man."

The movie "Music Man" embodies what I believe a Memorial Day should betrombones playing, bands marching, flags waving, people cheering and a little romance. Starring in the movie are Robert Preston and Shirley Jones. I am sure you have seen it. It takes place in Mason City, Iowathe birthplace of Meredith Wilson, the man who wrote the music for the movie.

Each summer the city hosts a music fest where scores of bands march through the streets. There is nothing like a high school marching band playing "Stars and Stripes Forever" to bring shivers up and down your spine. I try to watch a little bit of the movie during the day on Memorial Day.

Memorial Day is a tombstone.

Kathy and I will do a unique thing this Memorial Day. We will go to a cemetery and pick out our burial plots.

Kathy wants to have a bench in front of her tombstone. If she goes before I go, I can see myself sitting on that bench reading some of the many letters and notes she has written me over the years. I hope there is a lilac bush nearby. Love notes and the smell of lilacs are a good combination.

Memorial Day is a parade.

Did you ever march in a Memorial Day parade? I did in my younger days as a Boy Scout.

It was a short parade, probably no more than 15 minutes viewing time. Personally, it was the best of times because it marked the beginning of summer vacation.

School was always out prior to Memorial Day, and kids could now say, "No more pencils, no more books, no more teacher"s dirty looks." Yes, if you have a chance to go to a parade, take your kids to a Memorial Day parade. If they haven"t learned that little verse yet, teach them that too. It"s all part of growing up.

Memorial Day is potato salad.

I"m sorry, but my wife makes the best potato salad in the world. It"s not some overcooked salad you buy in a store with an over supply of mayonnaise mixed in and some soft celery. No, my wife"s is the best. I always maintain that you could tell a good cook by the quality of their potato salad.

Do you want a menu for a good Memorial Day picnic? Here it is: Hot dogs roasted on an open fire, crisp dill pickles, potato salad and rhubarb pie. You can only drink one thing: Ice cold root beer. It seems to me I read some place that the first dinner you get in heaven is what I just described. I can hardly wait to taste G*d"s potato salad.

Memorial Day is a soldier.

His name is Lewis "Chesty" Puller. He is the most decorated Marine in military history. Among his many medals are five Navy Crosses, which is the second-highest military decoration for valor the nation awards, second only to the Medal of Honor.

He is known for his heady quotes like, "Son, when the Marine Corps wants you to have a wife, you will be issued one." (This was Puller"s response to a young Marine who was asking permission to be married.) Also, "All right, they"re on the left, they"re on the right, they"re behind us and in front of us. They can"t get away this time." He passed away in 1971 at the age of 73. Memorial Day is the day we salute our soldiers who are still here today and those who have gone before us.

That"s Memorial Day.

Today"s Riddle

What did one U.S. flag say to the other? Nothing, it just waved! Don"t forget to wave and salute our soldiers as they march by in the Memorial Day parade.

John R. Eggers of Bemidji is a former university professor and area principal. He also is a writer and public speaker.

Source: http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/columns/4042657-john-eggers-what-memorial-day

No comments:

Post a Comment